Thursday, November 6, 2008

Another Spider Buddy!

Apparently Neith has the upper part of the porch covered as far as bug control goes, so a new, smaller spider, Bud, has moved in. I don't know if Bud is actually male, but I have decided that he is. Bud takes care of any bugs that happen to get near our doorknob. I actually watched him catch a mosquito a couple of nights ago; it was very interesting. Unlike Neith, who weaves lovely "traditional" webs, Bud seems to take the more minimalist approach and made a small, maybe 1" wide web that spans a corner for a few inches. The mosquito walked up the corner and was trapped under the web, at which point Bud struck and dragged the bitey bastardess to her doom. Bud seemed to enjoy his meal. I am currently researching what kind of spider Bud might be, but here is a picture of Neith's cousin, who looks very much like her. Same color and markings. It's pretty easy to see where the species gets it's name, huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying for years to figure out what kind of spider that is!! I had them by my lights all the time when I lived in Montana. They were like pets! Let me know if you find out.

Tena said...

Cyndi-
The picture is of a Cat-Faced spider. I still don't know what Bud is. :-)

Erin said...

AHHHHHH!

::runs screaming from blog::