Monday, July 20, 2009

My Grocery Awesomeness Continues

I'm going to have to come up with a better name for this. Perhaps I will just stick with Grocery Guru. Anyway, this week's grocery shopping (everything, not just food):

King Soopers (Kroger):
  • Bread - $1.99
  • Colorado Proud Milk - $1.48
  • Kroger Distilled Vinegar (not pictured, for laundry) - $2.99, on sale for $2.49
  • Kuner's canned veggies - reg. $1.09, on sale 4/$3
  • Fage greek yogurt (individual cup) - reg $1.99, on sale for $1.49, plus $1/1 coupon, final price $0.50!
  • Oikos greek yogurt (individual cup) - $1.99, plus $1/1 coupon, final price $0.99
  • Kroger CanJel (pectin) - $1.79
  • Cheerios - $3.08, plus $0.55/1 coupon doubled to $1, final price $2.08
  • MultiGrain Cheerios - $3.19, plus $0.75/1 coupon doubled to $1, final price $2.19
  • Kellogg's Special K Blueberry - $3.49, plus $1/1 coupon, final price $2.49
Tax was $0.22, and I got $0.05 off (whooptie doo...) for bringing my own bag. Grand total at Kings? $19.27, with $7.25 in savings. Pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Albertsons:
I already mentioned this before, but whatever:
  • Blueberries - reg $3.99 per pkg, on sale for 5 lbs for $5 (almost half what King's has theirs on special for...)
I got 5 1-lb containers, and with tax, spent all of $5.05, and saved almost $15 (though really, that's debatable, because had they been $3.99 each I would not have gotten them at all). These will be made into jelly/jam and syrup. Yum!

Sunflower:
Here's where I got kind of spendy, but that's mainly because we splurged this week so I could make lots of enchiladas:
  • 3 green bell peppers - reg $0.69 ea, on sale for 2/$1, total $1.50
  • 1 anaheim pepper - $0.48
  • 1 package of 3 dozen corn tortillas - $2.19
  • Nanita's Enchilada Sauce (local and YUMMY) - $3.99
  • Dreyer's Ice Cream - reg $5.99, on sale for $3.99
  • 0.9 lb Sunflower brand organic coffee (not pictured)- $6.29
  • 1 large sweet onion - $0.77
  • 5 Fuji apples - $0.99/lb, total $1.48
  • 6 nectarines - $0.88/lb, total $1.47
  • 4 pork Polish Sausages (surprise for C, not pictured) - on sale for $1.97/lb, total $2.17
In all at Sunflower, I spent $24.23, and saved $5.67 by shopping for sale items and bringing my own bag ($0.10 here per bag). Not so good for budget, and the ice cream wasn't necessary, but the enchiladas I made using the more expensive ingredients will be good for lunches for me all week, plus a meal in the freezer, plus were dinner for J and I tonight. They were a hit, too.

I also made a trip to Whole Foods because I heard a rumor I could get Santa Cruz Lemonade for $0.24 (on sale for $0.99, plus the $0.75/1 coupon). Well, they were on sale, but for $1.50. In all the lemonade ended up being $0.80. Not too shabby!

My final purchase tonight was Country Save laundry detergent. The only place that sells it in my area is Vitamin Cottage, but it is well worth the special trip, plus it's on the way to King Soopers. We don't buy anything else there because we can get better deals elsewhere and we don't buy supplements, but the detergent is about the same price as the cheap stuff at the grocery store (per load) and it cleans cloth diapers like wow. All Free and Clear is worse than just washing the damn things with water. Never use it on diapers. It sucks ass. Ok, enough of that rant. I love my Country Save, and I will never try to use anything else on diapers again. Never. NEVER. I am washing J's diapers now, actually, with the nice wonderful best detergent ever. Anyway, the detergent was $8.36 after tax.

My grand total? (Honestly, I'm kind of scared to add this all up...) $57.71. Yikes. Not awful, especially considering that last week we were under budget by $11. Also, if I drop the non-food items the total goes down to $46.86, which is really quite good! Sweet. We won't need to buy quite as much next week, but we will need to make a trip later this week to Costco for goat milk for J (since they have it for $6 or less per half gallon, versus close to $8 per half gallon at grocery stores).

My grocery trips this week also contributed to my Things to Do list, since I brought my own bags which is both "green" and helping reduce our dependence on plastic bags! Yay!

Whew. That was a long post!

No comments: