Saturday, July 4, 2009

"Watermelon" Jello

Ok, so I'm not really sure what to call this, but there you go. I got this recipe from a fellow Nestie (thanks Safy!) and thought I would try it. I think this would work better with a teensy "personal" sized watermelon, but I used half of a small one and it worked okay. Safy used chocolate chips and I used candy coated sunflower seeds ("Sunbursts") from Sunflower Markets. I think that the plain chocolate things would work better, simply because the color oozed off of the seeds. It was still pretty tasty though!

Halve a (small) watermelon and scoop out the flesh till you get to the rind. I tried to make the rind about 1/3" thick, with varying success.

C took this picture of me, he said it was a good one, so here you go. I think I look hot and sweaty because I was standing by the stove which was on because I was rendering fat. More on that another time...


Make red Jello (or you can use different colors if you want to get creative and funky) roughly according to the Jigglers recipe. You want the Jello thick so it holds its shape. I used 4 big 6oz packs of Jello with 5 cups of water since I was using a smallish watermelon, use more for larger watermelons. (4 3oz packages should work for a tiny melon.)

Pour the Jello into the watermelon bowl. I sat mine in a bowl to catch any spillage and also for support. I trimmed the extra rind off after the jello was set.

Pop in the fridge until almost set (3 hours was a bit too long, maybe 2 or 2 1/2 hours?), then shove the "seeds" into it with a stick (chopstick works well or you can use several toothpicks) to make the seeds. Add additional "seeds" as desired and chill til ready to serve.
If you do use candy-coated seeds, then don't put them all on at once like I did, or you get something that looks like a toddler tried to fingerpaint on your jello.

Slice the Jello melon to serve, and make margaritas with the rest! Or not. ;-)

Jello is shiny and hard to photograph.



Just for giggles, here's a picture of my massive amounts of pumpkin bread that I baked that night. I think the muffins on the right got slightly more baked than the other ones, but they all taste good. All the pumpkin-y goodness is currently frozen for later enjoyment.



No comments: