Sunday, June 14, 2009

Thoughts and Prayers Needed

My grandmother is in the hospital. She's very sick. She has a blood clot in her leg due to DVT and they can't give her blood thinners because she was vomiting blood last night (which is why she is in the hospital in the first place). The apparent cause of the vomiting is a severe hiatal hernia, where presumably part of her stomach has been trapped in the esophagus and lost circulation. If they don't operate, in her particular case, she could die. However, given her generally fragile health and the fact that she's 88, she may die from the surgery (or more likely, the anesthesia).

She's my only grandparent left. She's my mom's only immediate family, since her dad and her sister went "home" years ago. I feel so awful that I am not closer to my grandma. I don't know what to do for my mom. I have no clue what it means to lose a parent, and even though my mom has been "ready" for this for a while now, how ready can you really be to say goodbye to the person who brought you into this world and raised you and kissed your owies and taught you to sew and cook?

Anyway, if you are reading this, please send out a little thought or prayer to my grandma and my family. A painless and quick passing or a fast recovery would be nice. Advice on how to help my mom through this is also appreciated, since I'm her oldest and the closest to her.

Thanks...

2 comments:

Chris said...

Heavenly father, I pray your comfort on this family at this time. I pray for Tena's grandmother, that you would help the surgeon in this operation. I pray your hand on this situation. Whatever the outcome, I just pray that you be a strong presence with the family and help them in any way that they need. In your mighty name I pray. Amen.

Tena, I know this must be hard for you. I still have 3 of my 4 grandparents, but know that two of them (in their 90s) are not going to be around for too much longer. Since you are closest to your mom, the best advice I have, is just be there for here when she needs you. That's really all you can do. She will need you to talk with, I'm sure.

Will watch for your update.

Caeseria said...

Tena,
I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. We will be praying for her. I just lost my youngest grandmother to a sudden stroke at 71, and all I can think to do for your mother is just be there when she needs to talk. And help her talk and let her cry on your shoulder.
I am so, so sorry. We will be praying!
Cecily