Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A Return to the Fitness Diaries, with Accountability

As I have mentioned, I have a goal of running/walking 300 miles this year. So far I've done 9ish. I'm also trying to eat better, which isn't too bad but I do need to hold myself accountable for everything I eat. This just brings awareness to what I'm eating, so I can be mindful of what I put in my body. So far I haven't lost any weight, but I also haven't been very diligent.

Well, I just joined a fitness competition with Bigg Anklevitch of the Dunesteef. Every Wednesday, I have to weigh in and share my results, good or bad. I am really hoping this is the kick in the butt I need to get going with getting in shape. I'd like to lose 28 pounds, which is kind of a lot, but really just gets me back to slightly more than I weighed when I got married, and hopefully accomplish this by my 10th wedding anniversary. See how that weight sneaks in? 2-3 pounds a year, every year, doesn't seem like a big deal... until you hit 10 years out and realize that you have gained a LOT of weight in that time when you add it all up. Yes, I have had 2 kids, and I did weigh 135 when I got pregnant with J. But then I was 140 when I got pregnant with Dee, and here I am. I never got back below 140 after she was born (for long). Now I'm at 148. I know, some of you are probably thinking that I have nothing to complain about, that I am not overweight, etc. I am only 5'2" tall, which, at my current weight, puts me in the overweight category. I just want to get back down to the middle range of normal BMI.

My goal with this is not focused so much on the weight loss, but more on the actual physical fitness aspect. I want to be able to live a long and happy life, and I want to be able to run and play and hike and clean and fix up the house without being dead exhausted and in pain. So here I go.

Wish me luck. Lots and lots of luck. Because this weekend is Valentine's Day, and our annual family January-February-March birthday party. And today was one of my bosses' going away parties. So there's lots of junk food in my future, and I am going to try my damnedest to make the healthiest choices I can.

(Side note: I discovered that walking up and down the stairs for 10 minutes at work is a decent way to get in a mini-workout, and if I do it every day the exercise adds up.)

No comments: