Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Weekly Weigh-In and Other Thoughts

Drumroll please!!!

My weight this morning was 141.8. I have lost 7 pounds since I started this, and I have gone back nearly to my weight 2 YEARS ago. I am so proud of myself! I feel great. I've also gotten 60 miles down. I still have a ways to go in fitness and miles, and I want to be able to run two miles rather than just sort of half-ass run a mile and a half where I'm really only running a mile of it. Diet-wise I've been doing well at getting enough water (usually) and eating only whole food, though I do treat myself once in a while. I have the occasional chocolate from Trader Joe's, and sometimes I have a chocolate croissant from Starbucks (because really, they are AMAZING). I was terrible about getting fruit or veggies yesterday and got NONE. Unless you count the little bit of sauce on my pasta at lunch. :-/ Ah well. Onward and forward, I'll keep at it.

I am also going to go to a class tomorrow at work (over lunch) called "Guts and Butts" so we'll see how that goes. It seems like it will be fun, and I'm going with a friend from work.

A selfie because I feel pretty today :-)


Other than the fitness front, I've started to go "No 'Poo" this week. I've been pondering it for a while, because no matter what shampoo I use, my scalp is super itchy after a few days of use. I also tend to have a dry scalp. I have been only shampooing every other day for a long time, which helps, but even then I have awful itchiness problems a lot of the time. So I figured it was worth a shot. My method is this:

Dissolve about 3 tablespoons of baking soda in water. I think I used about 2 cups of water. The consistency feels slippery when I pour some in my hand, which I read is what it's supposed to feel like. I use a condiment bottle (ordered from Amazon) to distribute the BS (haha) and then massage it through my hair with my fingers. I do have to shake the bottle up every time I use it because a lot of the soda precipitates out. I think that as of this morning (two washes in) I've used maybe 1/3 of my solution. My hair is only shoulder length, so the amount may change as my hair gets longer, but we'll just have to see. Once I rinse the BS out, which feels a bit slippery, I use a spray bottle to spray a solution of water and vinegar into my hair. This is the "conditioner" step. I used 2 tablespoons of my orange-infused vinegar and filled the spray bottle the rest of the way with water (1 cup). It smells slightly vinegar-y but mostly orangey, which is nice and refreshing early in the morning, and once my hair is dry it doesn't smell like anything. I do rinse it out after I apply it and rub it through my hair. Again, as my hair gets longer I may change the way I do this, but for now it seems to be working.

I first did this on Monday morning, skipped yesterday (as normal) and washed again this morning. My hair wasn't any greasier yesterday that it usually is on a non-wash day, which is mildly greasy in the morning and a little more by evening. It feels totally normal, not weighed down or flyaway or anything (and in the dry Colorado air I was a little concerned about static). It's a little curlier than when I use shampoo, which is nice, because I do have sort of schizo hair that can't decide to be straight/wavy or a combination of the two. Usually the front is one thing (straight) and the back is another (wavy to curly). Oy. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this pans out, and the lack of unpronounceable chemicals is a bonus. I doubt I'll save much money doing this because I spend very little on shampoo or conditioner to begin with.

Once my hair gets long again I may use commercial conditioner again, but we'll just have to see how this goes.

No comments: