Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Review "The Irrsistible Henry House" by Lisa Grunwald

The Irresistible Henry HouseThe Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was a really, really sad story. It basically begins in a "practice house" where young women in the 20s-60s learned to be housewives and cook, clean, and care for babies. The psychological damage done to these babies by never being allowed to form any constant attachment for the first 2 years of life is really quite sad. The main character still goes on to lead an interesting life, and the author does a brilliant job of discussing a boy's/man's perspective in the world where he's missing the ability to truly love anyone. I think it's a fascinating part of 20th century history that is rarely even mentioned, so I'm glad I read this book, but it was really very disheartening to think of all the children brought up in these houses and then adopted out.



View all my reviews

No comments: