Saturday, March 12, 2011

Book Review "Vision in White" by Nora Roberts

We read this for March book club. This review contains spoilers.

Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1)Vision in White by Nora Roberts

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


Oh dear. How Nora Roberts has that many books published is absolutely beyond me. I never, ever, in a million years, would have thought I'd say this, but the Twilight series is better written All I can say is that the story is cute, and if you really, really love wedding planning then this book isn't too bad. The dialog was atrocious- it was like a 50-something woman (not surprising, actually) was trying to mold her own speech patterns to teenagers, when she was trying to write twenty-somethings. And the sex scenes? I don't think I've ever read LESS sexy sex scenes. As soon as you try to describe great sex as "shattering" and say that a man "destroys" a woman with his mouth, well...you get this mess. As my husband put it, when I read him those scenes, he said it was like someone who really hates sex, and finds it very unpleasant and painful, trying to write a good sex scene. I just can't imagine how anyone who has ever had an orgasm could write sex so terribly. Overall, I found the story very contrived and predictable. It was a fast and easy read. When you get to the end, and the protagonist has only just gotten engaged, the title has absolutely no place with the story arc, beyond the obvious "four friends running a wedding agency." I almost want to read one of Roberts' first books to see if she's just gotten bad, or if she was always like this. Almost.



View all my reviews

No comments: