Saturday, April 11, 2009

Jellybeans and Teddy Bears

I was maybe 4 or 5. One of Gus Mircos's daughters, a teenager at the time, gave my sister and I each some jellybeans after our parents dropped us off for the weekend. Mine were all black, and I sampled them cautiously. The tangy, spicy licorice flavor immediately captivated me and from that day onward the black ones have been my favorites.

Later that weekend, one of the Mircos girls rescued my teddy bear from under the bleachers at a high school football game. It was dark out, the lights shone artificially bright, and my little bear tumbed between the seats to the ground. Fortunately he was quickly recovered. I don't even recall which bear it was, or if I still have him. Perhaps it was my special Tortilla Flats bear, named after the restaurant where I found him when I was 3 and visiting my grandparents. Tortilla Flats currently resides in my basement with my other childhood stuffed animals, but he shows a lot more wear than the others.

No comments: