Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Men Aren't Stupid

I am so sick of seeing commercial after commercial with men being portrayed as big, clumsy, stupid oafs. Oh, it's Daddy's night to cook? He burned dinner. Mom to the rescue, ordering pizza. Um...yeah. I get that many men don't cook, but many men do cook (C included).

Why does the media perpetuate the image of the stupid husband? Is it some sick nod to the man-hating feminists? I know men don't enjoy being portrayed this way. Nobody wants to be portrayed as the village idiot.

Nobody is perfect. Everyone screws up, but there's no reason to show our children that daddies are stupid and mommies are the superheroes that come in and fix all of the messes that the daddies make. Sometimes I just want to scream that men are competent, too! Too many times I have seen a TV wife or mother patronizing her husband, making him seem the fool because he got a little overzealous on a home improvement project, or because he let the kids *gasp* play in the mud and now Mom must step in and clean them up.

My husband, and many, many others, are good men. They aren't any more perfect than their counterparts, nor any less. C cleans up the kitchen, he takes care of our son, he supports his wife in her endeavors. He isn't afraid to change a poopy diaper. No, he doesn't do things exactly the way I do, but does that mean that I am going to *tsk* to myself, call my mom/best friend/neighbor and bitch about the fact that he didn't mop the floor or something? No. That would be really stupid, and it would be just as bad as if C did that when I left my shoes out or something.

I am not asking for women to act the idiots, or anything like that. I am not asking any more than equal treatment of the sexes.

Of course, there are men that totally deserve the idiot tag- but they are absolutely the minority. There are plenty of women out there deserving of the idiot tag, too, but god forbid you portray a normal, everyday woman like that in a commercial.

Would that be so hard?

No comments: