Monday, May 18, 2009

My Plants, Indoor and Out!

Indoor Plants:My newest plant- a "baby" wax vine, baby jade, baby cyclamens, more baby jades (yet to be transplanted), Christmas cactus, and our weird mutant-y philodendron given to C as a gift for playing in the pit for Little Shop of Horrors.


"Mama" jade plant, plus two sunflowers and a bunch of mini daisies that I had seeds left from. I'm honestly surprised that they're growing, I got the seeds at the Target $1 bins like 4 years ago and they never grew before...


A fountain that C gave me for our anniversary once, accompanied by the Norfolk Island Pines that I bought the Christmas before J was born, and the bamboo given to me by a friend when J was born.


Another baby jade plant (I have problems throwing the trimmings away, ok?), a philodendron baby for my mom, and snake plants from my mom.


Our big Norfolk Island pines (well, the smaller one, the big one is attached to the trunk in the pot but wouldn't fit in the picture) and my numerous coleus plants, grown from seed last year!


My much-abused Peace Lily, given to me by the mother of my older siblings when C and I had our housewarming party. I really almost killed it and my container gardening book says it's very easy to grow. Hmm. Also pictured is the mystery plant (white pot) from Florida that I discovered one day as an itty bitty baby plant in with my Christmas cactus. Thinking it was a baby jade plant (the mommy plant was next to the cactus) I let it grow, but it soon developed pointy saw-toothed leaves, so I moved it to it's own pot. It somehow came from my mom's house, since they have a whole mess of them, but it took almost 2 years to show up here. It reproduces by dropping baby plantlets from it's leaves. I think I shall call it the rabbit plant, since it's already got about 10 babies around it (too small to see well in the picture). If you know what it is, please tell me! It is definitely a succulent of some kind, and the leaves are sort of speckle-stripey.

My Outdoor Garden:

L-R: Sunflowers grown from the head of one of my pitiful ones from last summer. Already they are healthier than the last set. Zucchinis! Last, my single happy strawberry plant. I have another one but it is not nearly as happy. The other big pot has bush beans in it, but they haven't sprouted yet.


My ghetto planter that C made me last summer! It's definitely not going to make it past this growing season, but then he'll make me a better one. Anyway, back to front: wild spinach (seeds taken from my dad's garden in WA), lettuce mix, radishes and carrots (not sprouted yet), 4 pitiful little pepper plants, and a bunch of pitiful tomato plants. I really hope they start thriving.


My rosebush that I transplanted last fall. The looped part is all that grew from it, and appears to be the miniature rose bush that I transplanted. My red roses (pictured here last year) did not survive the winter, but it seems they cross-pollinated with the minis because there's a huge regular rosebush sized "branch" coming up!! The leaves and everything are consistent with the standard rosebush, so it will be interesting to see what happens here. The miniature roses bloom bright pink. Also pictured are some Jonny Jump-Ups that come back every year (the yellow and purple pansy-flowers).

No comments: