Thursday, May 28, 2009

Painting Rainbows Black

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not protest;
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.

Martin Niemöller, "First They Came"

Shame on you, California. Shame on you, America, for allowing the idea of Proposition 8 to represent us as a nation.

Here I thought we lived in a time of tolerance. I was mistaken. Apparently the religious right in this country has a firmer grasp on the legal aspects of the way we function as a society than I'd believed. Why is it even their business who gets married? I can't believe that God, in whatever form there is a God, would create people to love, and then allow other people to rally against the love that blooms when and where it may bloom, in the name of "faith." Despicable.

No comments: